I get inspired by taking a look into my fruit bowl or vegetable tray in my fridge. Waste not, want not!
Having discovered a ripe mango this morning, I got curious as to what I could prepare what is not the “typical sweet” dish I’d normally go for with a Mango – et voilà! This salad just looks beautiful and nutritious.
Huge shout-out to the growing community of vegan food bloggers in the www! I love the ease and convenience with which we can browse and find a recipe for pretty much every ingredient you have in your kitchen. If you want to save your food from landing in a bin -and honestly we all should have this desire not to waste- then I highly recommend you give this approach a try. Rather than planning meals and shop ingredients accordingly, why not try to buy what’s on offer at the moment, and then find out what you can cook with it? This turns the meal planning process upside down, and I quite like a good challenge! Do you?
This recipe is inspired by the Bon Appetit magazin, and I veganized it for us 🙂
- 1 orange, peel and white pith removed, segments separated
- 1/8 cup lime juice, freshly pressed
- 1/2 Tbsp No fish sauce – optional
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 cups black rice
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted, diced
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, freshly shopped
- 1/2 small or medium size red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts (if you cannot find unsalted, use salted but leave out any additional salt in thie recipe)
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- Boil the rice in a large pot until it’s tender; appr. 20-25 minutes. Season lightly with salt (if you will use unsalted peanuts in this recipe).
- Orange. Sharp knife. Large bowl. Small mason jar.
- Use the small sharp knife, and cut the orange segments into 4 pieces each.
- Pour 1/4 cup lime juice, oil, and No-fish sauce into the small mason jar, add some salt and freshly cracked pepper, put on the lid, and shake to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Remove pot from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing, and season lightly with salt (if you will use unsalted peanuts in this recipe); allow it to cool down.
- Add the diced mangoes and remaining ingredients into the large bowl, and then rice and toss gently to combine.
- Season lightly with some salt and more lime juice, if desired.
Do you want to be amongst the first to know when we publish a new plant-based recipe? If you do, please leave us your contact info below, and we’ll drop you an email each time we add another delicious & nutritious post on this website 🙂