Today is National Shortbread Day – who knew? So, what’s so special about shortbread? A food item we don’t seem ot pay much attention anymore these days when passing the supermarket isles. Doing some quick research we found out that shortbread is credited to Mary, Queen of Scots and was considered a luxury treat that was only served on special occasions in the 16th century.
Fast forward a couple of centuries it doesn’t seem to evoke quite the same reaction anymore. So to honour the 06th Jan let’s comemorate this luxury treat once more – of course fully veganized!
- 125gr (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 50gr (1/4 cup) sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 112gr (1/2 cup) vegan butter
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Sift the flour and add it to a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt and mix together.
- Then add the vegan butter, rubbing it in with your fingers. It will first be crumbly and then gradually will form into cookie dough.
- If you want shortbread cookies, form the cookie dough into a ball and then flatten it out on a flour dusted surface and cut out some cookies. You can either use a rolling pin or your hands to flatten it out. The dough is quite fragile, so if you use a rolling pin, you can roll and sort of press at the same time. Dust the top of the dough with flour so that the rolling pin doesn’t stick. Roll the cookies in sugar and place onto a parchment lined baking tray. Roll the remaining dough into a ball again and flatten out again, cutting out more cookies and then repeat. At the end you’ll cut out your final cookie, and whatever’s left won’t be enough for a last cookie, so just roll into a small ball, roll it in sugar and add it to the baking tray as a bonus cookie.
- Alternatively, place the dough on a lined baking tray, and roll out evenly to about 5-8mm thickness with a rolling pin. Then cut the rolled out dough into segments of your desired size (fingers, squares, etc.).
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for around 30 minutes before eating.
Are you enjoying the discovery of newly veganized food inspirations this month and want to be the first to know when we post new plant-based recipes? Please leave us your details below, and we’ll send you an email each time we upload a new recipe to our site.